A Creditor has Filed a Judgement Against me in Oneida: Help!

What Should I Do If I Have a Judgment Filed Against Me?

Oneida Bankruptcy Attorney can help save your home

Don’t lose your home by ignoring creditors

Once a creditor has filed a lawsuit against you, unless you take appropriate action, a judgment can be ordered.

If you have received notification from the court that one of your creditors is suing you, the best course of action is securing the services of a qualified Oneida bankruptcy lawyer.

One of the biggest mistakes that people make when a lawsuit has been filed by a creditor is doing nothing.

In your situation, if your creditor does not get satisfactory results from the lawsuit, filing a judgment is the next obvious step. You want to avoid this since it can take between 10 and 20 years for a judgment to be paid in full, which means having a very long connection with that creditor.

A creditor can collect money due via a judgment in several ways. For example, your wages can be garnished. In addition, your bank account, as well as other assets, can be frozen, meaning you no longer have access.

Working with an Oneida bankruptcy attorney, will help you gain a much better understanding as to how everything works. You will learn that after a judgment is filed, your home, along with land and additional buildings, will automatically be hit with a lien. If that happens, you cannot sell until the full lien amount is paid.

Remember, selling will not be possible if the amount of the added lien pushes the value of the home beyond what it is really worth. In addition, if there is any equity in the home, the sheriff’s department may be asked by the creditor to sell the property so money owed can be collected.

Instead of going into panic mode, if you find yourself in this situation, it is essential to hire a reputable attorney.

Keep in mind that a bankruptcy will not remove the judgment, but for an additional fee, your lawyer can take other action to have it wiped out. The additional legal fee is a small sacrifice for saving your home, land, and other physical property.

Rather than do nothing, we encourage you to contact us today for a free consultation so we can review your case and help you get back on your feet. (315) 693-0999

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *